Global Cooling, Inc. Associate Handbook
Table of Contents
Who we are!
Global Cooling, Inc. manufactures and sells Stirling Ultracold freezers, a new generation of environmentally friendly ultra-low temperature freezers which operate at or below -80°C. These freezers do not use compressor-based or cascade refrigeration systems. They use patented free-piston Stirling engine technology developed for critical energy, aerospace and industrial applications
At a Glance
In 1995, Global Cooling Inc. was established for commercializing a line of free-piston Stirling cooling engines. The company’s first production unit, M100, was sold as an OEM product to other manufacturers to use in a range of devices used in aerospace, electronics, energy and other industries.
In 2004, Twinbird Corporation, Japan, working under license from Global Cooling, released the world’s first consumer product cooled by the free-piston Stirling engine. This product, originally sold as a cooler for recreational use, was the precursor to the current line of portable freezers and refrigerators. Twinbird and Global Cooling continue an active partnership.
In 2009 Global Cooling identified the significant cooling performance and energy advantages of the free-piston Stirling technology over ultra-low cascade refrigeration systems used in life science, pharmaceutical and clinical hospital research industry.
In 2010 the company decided to establish a manufacturing facility to build a competitive line of ultralow temperature storage freezers to meet a growing demand from biorepositories, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, and beyond.
In April 2011, the company moved into a 50,000 sq.ft. facility on Poston Road in Athens Ohio. Here, the company builds all its free-piston Stirling engines, some freezer models and conducts direct training of authorized service personnel who have met qualifications to support Stirling Ultracold products in the field.
In May 2018, the company officially opened a new office in the historic Smith Bros’ Hardware Co. building in Columbus, OH. This new office houses our inside sales, product management, new product design, and executive offices.
Award-Winning Product Development
In January 2013, after significant beta testing at customer sites across the US, Stirling Ultracold introduced the Model SU780U to fulfill a market demand for a large (27.5 cu.ft.) upright ultra-low freezer to replace conventional cascade freezers. Successful deployment of the SU780U and independent customer performance testing generated critical praise from biorepository and pharmaceutical experts worldwide.
In May 2013, Stirling Ultracold received the International Society for Biological and Environmental Repositories’ (ISBER’s) Outstanding New Product of the Year Award for its Model SU780U ultralow temperature freezer. The award, given to one product annually, recognizes the company’s development and introduction of the world’s most energy efficient ultra-low temperature freezer, the Stirling Ultracold SU780U.
Stirling Ultracold offers three ultra-low freezers, all of which operate on the free-piston Stirling engine. All products are available from Stirling Ultracold and from leading laboratory supply distributors and dealers worldwide.
Next Generation Upright Ultra-Low Freezer with the Industry’s Top ENERGY STAR®-Certified Rating
The SU780XLE is the industry’s best performing, most energy-efficient upright ultra-low freezer. As our next generation upright ULT freezer, the SU780XLE delivers enhanced system reliability, sample integrity, and lowest energy use compared to any comparable model on the market. Your samples will be safer than ever because there are no compressors, and proven Stirling engine technology is used with continuous modulation that maintains unmatched temperature stability. The SU780XLE has the largest storage volume per sq. ft. of floor space of any available freezer, and uses a universal power system allowing an input voltage range of 100v to 240v at either 50 or 60hz with minimal current surge.
The reliable SU105UE undercounter freezer is ideal for bench side personal storage or for use where larger volume ultra-low freezers remain underutilized. The space-saving SU105UE delivers full performance ultra-low storage for benchtop, stacked installations or undercounter freezer setups.
The Shuttle™ is the only portable ULT freezer solution available today for bringing ULT storage to the patient. This small, lightweight, and efficient portable -80°C freezer is ideal for clinical trials and biologic drug delivery.
To all Global Cooling Employees
Thank you for all your efforts as we build a world-class company here in Ohio. Our customers around the world are working hard to find cures for disease, while minimizing their environmental impact. Our products are uniquely able to support these two objectives. We would not be able to build and grow this company without all your contributions. Please enjoy your time here and take pride in what we are doing together.
Neill Lane, CEO
What we believe and who we want to be…
Our innovative products enable organizations to advance science and cure diseases. Our customers save money and meet their environmental sustainability goals with our products. By educating our customers about cold integrity and its financial and environmental cost, we are transforming an industry.
Stirling Ultracold’s sales of low temperature storage solutions for biotechnology, pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors will reach $100 million by 2020.
How we plan to get there!
Our Strategy is to be the industry standard for the preservation of biological material. Our solutions are differentiated by performance and reliability with minimal environmental consequences. We have a culture of aligned goals, transparency and accountability. Our success generates opportunities for our employees and value for our shareholders.
We will concentrate on developing, marketing, selling and supporting industry-leading products. We will manufacture our core Stirling technology in a world-class factory, attract, train and retain top talent and create a robust, predictable and flexible supply chain.
We will seek out customers in North America, Europe and Asia that value and will compensate us for our products and services and whom we can support through our distribution and support network. We will profitably grow to $100M by 2020
Our culture of accountability…
- Don’t approach with “I have concerns, I have problems, I am nervous…”. Approach with “I see some obstacles and here is what I am going to do about it”.
- Don’t announce at or after due date that you are “late”. Unacceptable. Manage your project, see and work through obstacles, and stay on schedule. Stay ahead of problems.
- Don’t spend time outlining reasons for setbacks, the unexpected, etc. Do spend time driving contingency plans and alternate solutions.
- Don’t just stop, do nothing, drop activities, etc. Don’t wait and “hope things get better”. Keep driving to completion, despite obstacles. There will be obstacles…be ready for them and overcome them.
- Don’t blame others, point fingers, etc. This is YOUR project. You can delegate authority…you cannot delegate responsibility.
- Don’t say “I was too busy, I got distracted, I was working on something else”. You set the schedule and you manage your multiple responsibilities. When things come up (and they will)…evaluate and communicate the alternate actions. Deliverables are non-negotiable.
- Don’t say “I don’t have time”. Plan & schedule. Salaried employees don’t work to a fixed timeclock. Hourly employees need to plan for OT if needed (and get approved).
What We Believe – The Important Things
- One Company. One Vision. One Team
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Commit to…and achieve…results
- Refuse to accept failure
- Be part of the solution/improvement
- Integrity. Always do the right thing.
- Professional. Always.
- Positive, “can do”, enthusiastic approach
How we work!
To set you up for success at Global Cooling we have a comprehensive employee onboarding program. On your first day or prior to arriving on your first day, each new employee will receive and complete a variety of forms, such as:
- I-9 Form and instructions. Employees should bring to orientation documents supporting their eligibility to work in the United States.
- Employee self–identification form.
- Employee handbook acknowledgment receipt.
- Federal and state tax withholding forms.
- Emergency contact information form.
- Benefit plan enrollment forms.
- Signed copy of the company’s confidentiality and non-disclosure policy.
- Signed copy of the company’s ethical business practices policy.
On your first day, or during the first few days of employment you will be:
- Introduced to the company, its mission, functions and culture.
- Complete any additional new employee forms and paperwork.
- Discuss with HR your new Benefit plan information and preliminary enrollment.
- Review safety and health policies—safety, fire, emergency evacuation, job-related safety issues.
- Review payroll procedures, pay periods, handling administrative procedures such as computer systems and logins, telephone systems, ID badges, supplies and equipment.
- You will also get to meet with management and new employees to discuss department and company standards, confidentiality and privacy issues, facility and work station location issues, attendance and punctuality standards, reporting of absences, pay problem reconciliation, time card completion, review of timekeeping and reporting codes, complaint procedures.
Communication is the key to our success!
You will be in daily contact with your supervisors, manager, or team lead. You will meet with your team at least weekly. We have quarterly meetings where the whole company gets together to share what we’re working on, talk about pressing issues, and celebrate successes.
We also have a weekly company newsletter called The Cool Spot, and various lunch and learn sessions to improve your skills as well as a book club series where we read, discuss, and learn about top rated business applications and innovation.
We pride ourselves on being open and friendly. Have a question? Feel free to ask people what they’re working on or for clarification on a business policy, either in person or during the Q&A portion of any meeting. We’re all happy to answer your questions.
We’re excited and we need you to be, too!
Get your work done well, and be excited about what you’re creating and contributing. Not excited? Talk to your manager. Maybe there’s a better project for you…or resolution for your concern.
The Company offers you the opportunity to participate in its comprehensive and competitive group insurance programs through payroll deduction. The Company contributes a large portion of the cost of the insurance premiums. Participation in most Company-offered insurance programs is voluntary.
Regular full-time employees are eligible to earn and use company provided Paid Time Off (PTO) for any approved time off. Global Cooling also observes ten paid holidays per year, offers paid time off for bereavement, voting, jury duty, and military service.
Office Life (What we expect from all of us)
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and strives to comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, and any other basis protected by Federal, state or local laws.
If a question or a problem arises, each of us can expect to receive fair and objective consideration without fear of reprisal. This includes problems concerning safety, wages, supervision, discipline, and application of Global Cooling policy and working conditions.
While we hope that your employment will prove satisfactory, please understand that continued employment cannot be guaranteed for any associate. Employment at the Company is employment at-will. This means that you are free to leave your employment at any time, and the Company retains the same right to terminate your employment at any time, with or without cause.
The successful business operation and reputation of Global Cooling is built upon the principles of fair dealing and ethical conduct of our employees. Our reputation for integrity and excellence requires a scrupulous regard for the highest standards of conduct and personal integrity on and off the job. The continued success of Global Cooling is dependent upon our customers’ trust and we are dedicated to preserving that trust. Global Cooling will comply with all applicable laws and regulations and expects its directors, officers, and employees to conduct business in accordance with the letter, spirit, and intent of all relevant laws and to refrain from any illegal, dishonest, or unethical conduct, both on or off the job.
Your health and safety while on property owned or occupied by the Company are of critical concern to the Company. The Company also intends to comply with all health and safety laws applicable to our business.
Supervisors and employees are strongly encouraged to discuss job performance goals on an informal, occasional basis. You can expect to meet with your supervisor at least once a year for a formal performance appraisal discussion.